Friday, August 20, 2010

Feet, Pray, Love

At 4p today, TGIF, I was sent on an errand to pick up an envelope from a government building.  My purse had to wear a name tag.  No joke.  On the way there I passed the downtown hospital and The Lehman Brothers Emergency Room. I couldn't help but picture rows of men in suits laying down with IV's coming out of their wallets. 

I also passed by a sharp-dressed-man pulling a gurney out of a hearse and awkwardly dragging it up the loading dock.  I couldn't help but think things like, "How's he gonna get that thing down from the dock once he has a dead banker on it?" and "How do they put toe-tags around wing tips?"

The sun felt so nice on my face.  I stood there for a hovering 30 seconds just in case the cartoon in my mind came true.  Then I walked away and passed a woman leaning, no laying vertically on the side of the hospital.  Her eyes were darting everywhere and her hands nervously pulled at each of her fingers.  She looked lost and not homeless and I suddenly felt grateful for being in a moment in my own life where I can look at a hospital and make jokes. 

I hope her subject of worry is OK.  I hope she has humor in her life again very soon.  I hope her husband did not work for Bear Stearns.  I think they have a graveyard in Queens.

No comments:

Post a Comment