Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Let's Do Church

I had the opportunity to meet Greg for lunch today.  In the morning I jumped out of the shower, grabbed coffee, made tuna and packet our lunches.  We were both heading to offices for the day.  I thought I wouldn't see him again until we both came home to rescue the dog....but a little gift came from the universe in the form of:


"Hey.  Why don't you just take the rest of the day off?"  


I dashed to the office kitchen, found a tub under the dining table, ran to the large sink in the wheelchair-accessible bathroom, filled the tub with warm water, oils from India, rose pedals from Spain...got on a plane...plucked cotton from an old tulip farm in Holland...traveled through a dark and dangerous forest full of elves...found Rumplestiltskin's fair maiden...had her spin the wirey tufts into soft, fluffy gold...got back on another plane...went back to the bathroom...grabbed the tub of hot water and jogged with its sloshing suds spilling about...leapt down the hall to my superior's cubicle...bowed in reverence, ripped her shoes off, kissed each of her toes and proceeded to bath her feet while singing Ave Maria...


After I turned in my key-card, I texted Greg: Lunch? 


He said, "yes in a few" and I walked through Wall Street like I'd never used my eyes before.  I literally wandered by an old fenced in graveyard next to a miniature Notre Dame.  The doors were open.  Tourists in small spatterings.  I made my way to the chapel of the infamous Trinity church and sat.  


A sign said,"Please keep quiet.  This area is reserved for prayer and meditation."


OH EM GEE.


I am not a religious person.  But I sat in this incredibly religious space and imagined allllllllllll of the women that may have sat before me...meditating...praying...and was overwhelmed with a calm buzz that will never be fulfilled no matter how much champagne I gorge.  I studied the walls, the glass, the carvings, the gold, the embroidery...incents...cool, dry air...I think I traveled back in time and talked to a nun.  And then one walked by!


I looked down in my purse.  The iAnacronism told me the time.  I got up...found dark, winding halls which lead me to the little cemetery outside.  I walked by the very people I was jealous of when I spotted them from the other side of the fence and wondered how they got in!  The interred have been there since the 1700's.  I know how they got in.  I felt my Payless shoes wince.


I met Greg...he was the most beautiful man I'd ever seen.  I wanted to grab his head and kiss every part of his face.  He is my husband, my partner, my hero.  I convinced him to wander around the free Native American exhibit for fifteen minutes after we stuffed our face with too-salty tuna I packed in too-tight tupperware.  Then I went home with The Beatles in my ears and took a nap.  In the afternoon.  In bed.  With the dog.  I'm not 8.  


It. Was. Awesome.


Thanks, Lee Ann for the gift. When after you asked me what I was going to do with my afternoon and I said, "go home and write"...I didn't know I meant later that evening. 



No comments:

Post a Comment