Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Quality Entertainment

I have heard that the new Broadway spectacular, spectacular: Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, cost $60 million dollars to produce.  I'm interested in seeing it. I've heard Boardwalk Empire, the new HBO anchor series, cost the same. I want to watch it again, I've thought about it so often since last night. I've now consistently plopped down in front of AMC's heavily commercially-interrupted gauntlet and have been known to dim the lights for an indie on our struggling-to-pay-rent-but-won't-cancel cable.  Greg and I have even turned off the AC to hear a good commercial on the computer.


I am glad to see quality shows fighting back the low-budget, 'reality' monster.  I choose home-grown and slow cooked over fast food. If I'm going to begin the couch-potato part of my American life, I'd like to feel I'm expanding more than my thighs.


I just can't wrap my head around the price tag.  


I appreciate why these artistic endeavors cost so much.  I understand the cost of intense research, quality resources, fine ingredients, magical wisdom, rare and raw talent.  Inflation.  Consumerism.  Competition. Politics.  Value.


I just can't help but wonder... if we can raise so much money to be distracted from the harshness of reality, why don't we invest more in reality?  We may have been on to something with reality TV. Rather than the whore route, why not the charitable one?  Why didn't Oprah ever branch her show to another hour? One that took place in her school? Has Bono invested in a documentary about the beginnings of Spidey, The Musical and used the funds to build an Inner City Illustration Institute? When will George Clooney run with a gun in order to catch real poachers?


I'm not insane.  I don't expect famous artists to become actual heroes. And quite honestly I'm writing without having ANY facts here. I know Oprah built a school, George created a telethon and Bono is now a word synonymous with 'ambassador'.  I'm not at all ungrateful or critical of their work. I think they are fantastically on to something.  I think the studios and corporations and agencies should do more. I think for every two commercialized dollars earned one should go to making reality better.  They could even put it on TV.


Again.  I know I'm talking general and generic nonsense.  I know everything is based on priorities and those little 'ol things are different for each and every person. And of course there is an awful lot to say for inspiration.  Art usually = inspiration and inspiration usually = action. But I'm just sayin'... if I had a choice between shelling out $60M to watch a live-action cartoon fly over my head or give New Orleans a fighting chance... I'm going down South.  


When our great grandkids read, no SEE replicants reenact these stories via hologram in their minds, I think they will be confused as to why the Bonos for world peace chose to invest in duct tape to repair a cracked foundation.  


Put your money where your eyes are, click here: Choose-A-Charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment